If it is your first time hiring a helper, you will probably be looking for a domestic helper agency to guide you through the process.
However, there are plenty of domestic helper agencies in Singapore providing similar services but with slightly different levels of expertise or approaches.
In this article, we will guide you through hiring a maid through a domestic helper agency in Singapore, so that you can make better-informed decisions when you start engaging the services of one.
Approaching A Domestic Helper Agency
You should note that not every agency is licensed by the Ministry of Manpower (MOM).
Make sure to check their official website for the list of domestic helper agencies and be wary of the list of employment agencies whose licenses have been revoked due to infringement or are under MOM’s surveillance.
Homekeeper is one example of a licensed agency by MOM for foreign domestic workers (FDW) or domestic helpers.
Homekeeper Maid Employment Process
1. Find a helper online or directly at any one of Homekeeper’s branches islandwide
- Bukit Timah Shopping Centre
- Hougang Green Shopping Mall
- Ang Mo Kio
- Elias Mall
2. Interview the shortlisted helpers via video call, if required or head down to the most convenient branch and meet them face-to-face
- It is important to make sure you find a helper that is compatible with your expectations and household requirements so that you can be satisfied with her performance for the entire duration of her contract.
- The helper will also be around your loved ones and live within the intimacy of your home, therefore, pick someone who leaves a good impression.
3. Confirm the domestic helper of your choice with your domestic helper agency
4. Let Homekeeper handle all the maid employment paperwork for you
One of the biggest reasons why people engage a domestic helper agency is all the troublesome paperwork which includes:
Work permit application or renewal process: We will help apply for a valid work permit for your helper. We will also help renew the work permits when they expire every 24 months.
Work Permit Cancellation & Repatriation: We will also help you with the time-consuming process of cancelling your helper’s work permit, if required, or we will help you to manage the maid repatriation process to send your helper back to her home country.
Routine paperwork/processes: We will manage all routine paperwork/processes such as renewing your helper’s passport when it expires in 5 or 10 years or advise you on the right processes of arranging medical check-ups for your helper every 6 months.
Document Endorsement by Embassy: We will handle any required embassy endorsements for your helper and process any home leaves when your helper travels back to her home country.
Direct hire/Transfer maid: We will take care of all the complicated legal documents and processes involved in hiring a candidate from her source country so that you don’t have to. We will also settle all the processes required in transferring or returning an existing helper.
5. Homekeeper will file your selected domestic helper for pre-employment training
Depending on the focus of your helper, there are training courses designed to cater to
- Infant & Maternal Care
- Elderly & Disability Care and
- General Housekeeping
This is to ensure that your helper is ready to work immediately and be knowledgeable about her tasks and what is expected of her.
6. Purchase mandatory maid insurance for your domestic helper-to-be
- We work with reputable companies that provide comprehensive and fair coverage for helpers in Singapore
- Our support staff will submit the claim on your behalf and if approved, the insurance company will mail the cheque to your house directly
- Key features include:
- Domestic Helper Liability
- Insurance Coverage (Death)
- Permanent Disablement
- Hospital & Surgical Expenses
- Temp. Help Expenses (Hospital > 14 days)
- Termination upon Certified Unfit to Work
- Follow-up Medical Expenses (After discharge)
- Days wages & Levy reimbursement Up to Maximum of 30 Days
- Unlimited Repatriation Cost (Death & Permanent Disablement Only)
7. Thereafter, she will be deployed to your home
Engage A Professional Domestic Helper Agency To Hire A Maid For Your Home
In all, hiring a domestic helper agency will save you time and the trouble of going through all these time-consuming and confusing processes, while they handle all the paperwork for you.
With our experienced and dedicated team of staff, we are well equipped with the knowledge and know-how on applying for any necessary documents and getting them approved as soon as possible.
By handling all the paperwork and training processes, it will also leave you with the only requirement of providing accommodation for your helper and managing her work performance in your home, ensuring that your experience is a smooth and simple one.
Reach out to us today and make your hiring process an easy one!
Share this article